The “White City-Bauhaus Architecture in Tel Aviv” exhibition at the State Hermitage Museum is part of the events of “Tel Aviv Days in St. Petersburg“. This exhibition aims to visualize the varied aspects of Tel Aviv’s international architectural style. It also aims to raise public awareness to the uniqueness of the “White City” and increase the Russian public’s appreciation of Tel Aviv’s special architectural treasure.
Tel Aviv was founded in 1909 and developed rapidly under the British Mandate in Palestine. The area of the White City forms its central part, and is based on the urban master plan by Sir Patrick Geddes, one of the foremost theorists in the early modern period. Sir Geddes developed such innovative notions as “conurbation” and “environment,” and was a pioneer in his insight into the nature of city as an organism constantly changing in time and space, as a homogeneous urban and rural evolving landscape. Reflected in his master plan of Tel Aviv, he adopted scientific principles in town planning, based on a new vision of a “site” and “region,” and internationally influenced urban planning in the 20th century.
Softcover, 54 pages. 2013.